8 Tips to Prevent Electrical Hazards from Home Appliances

Tips to Prevent Electrical Hazards from Home Appliances

Electrical hazards contribute to a significant portion of house fires in a country. In fact, British Columbia suffered from an incident of 2600 house fires with over 150 casualties and more than $150 million in damages. While these figures paint a grim picture, the underlying hazard is not the fire from sparks but due to asphyxiation from smoke inhalation.

Moreover, other effects from these hazards can result in nerve damage and even heart failure.

Therefore, being well-versed in the potential dangers and how to protect yourself better is essential.

1. Keep Electrical Appliances Dry

Water is a conduit for electricity and can be a deadly electrocution hazard. Be sure to keep your appliances away from moisture and water, especially those in the kitchen and the bathroom. Outlets can also pose a threat if water has seeped into the walls during renovation or installation.

However, if you accidentally drop the appliance in water or it becomes soaked by any liquid, the first step is to shut off the main power supply through your electrical panel. Then unplug the appliance and dry it. You should get it examined by a technician before operating it again.

If you have outlets near a water source, have ground fault circuit breakers so the power supply can be shut down during a short circuit.

2. Avoid Overheating and Overloading Outlets

Overloading outlets is another significant risk of starting an electrical fire. Avoid using extension cords and adapters to run multiple appliances at once. Moreover, only one heating device, like the dryer, or coffee maker, should be plugged into an outlet at any time.  The same applies to major appliances like refrigerators or microwave ovens.

Ensure that all your appliances have plenty of room to cool off. Not only does this prevent overheating, but it also improves device efficiency. Furthermore, be sure to unplug appliances when not in use which prevents overheating and overloading the circuit and protects the machine from electric surges.

Another effective measure is using a multimeter to check outlets to gauge whether there is any point of overloading in the circuit.

3. Make Sure Your Electrical Outlets Are Safe

This is a crucial safety measurement for families with young children, as kids tend to poke around outlets. An electricity outlet cover can prevent a disaster from happening.

Alternatively, you can also use Tamper Resistant Receptacle to replace the outlets. Furthermore, never break the third prong of a plug. If most of your appliances have two pins, replacing the outlets with a three-pronged one is better.

4. Safeguard Against Electrical Surges

Electrical surges can damage appliances and start fires. Surge protectors can help avoid that, especially for devices that operate for long hours, like your TV and refrigerator, and you live in areas with unstable power supply.

5. Be Careful With Electrical Cords

Stray cords pose a tripping hazard and dangerous electrical hazards like shock or short-circuit. If your cords are nailed to walls, running across furniture, in high-traffic areas, or under the carpets, then it is better to get an electrician to install new outlets rather than rely on extension cords.

Furthermore, replace any frayed or damaged cords as soon as possible. Finally, always make it a point to pull the plug when unplugging, don’t yank the cord.

6. Don’t Ignore Persistent Circuit Breaker Trips

Circuit breakers are a failsafe in the event of a short circuit. However, if your circuit breaker is frequently tripping, then there may be a deeper issue. Some of the possible causes could be faulty appliances, damaged wiring, or the circuit breaker itself being faulty.

7. Use The Proper Wattage For Lamps And Lighting Fixtures

Whenever you get any light bulbs or light fixtures. This is because going over the maximum wattage of the lamp or fixture can overload the wiring and start a fire. Here are a few additional things to keep in mind:

  • Ideally, your lighting should use a wattage of 40W and not exceed 60W. Avoid using multiple bulbs with one lamp with two switches to be operated separately.
  • Old incandescent bulbs shouldn’t be replaced with new energy-efficient ones as they use two different powers, which can cause flickering or pose a fire hazard.
  • If you have children who cannot sleep in the dark, you can use night lights instead of table lamps which give off a softer light. This uses less wattage as keeping the lights on throughout the night can lead to overheating.

8. Call The Experts For a Professional Electrical Safety Inspection

Despite all the safety measures that you take to reduce the risk, a professional is best suited to handle repairs and identify issues that may escape your observation.

Whether you have flickering flights, tripping circuits, or burning smells, then it is time to heed these warning signs and call in the experts. Remember that it is essential to not rely on temporary solutions and get to the root of the problem; otherwise, these hidden issues may escalate in the future. For this you need to have reliable appliances and services. Check out London appliances for some interesting alliances to fulfill your needs for our home and gives you satisfactory solution of all your problem.

Finally, you should have regular electrical safety assessments to identify problems early on and ensure your family’s safety. For instance, a safety check for houses with aluminum wiring should be done every five years.


The safety of your home and your family does not require extensive preparations, only careful observation of your surroundings and take simple, straightforward measures.

Do not plug multiple appliances into an outlet, change frayed wiring regularly, conduct yearly electrical assessments and follow manufacturer instructions properly.

Make sure to follow this list of tips to prevent electrical hazards from home appliances and ,moreover prolong their lifespan. 

Article Submitted By Community Writer

Today's Top Articles:

Scroll to Top